Sunday, July 02, 2006

Ein Besuch nach Dresden

While Berlin is perhaps my favorite city in the world, it doesn’t have that classic beauty that most famous European towns are known for. On Saturday we took a trip to see Dresden, a city almost completely rebuilt after damage in World War II, but reconstructed to keep the European traditions of cobblestone streets, medieval urban form, and stone buildings alive. It reminded me a lot of Gdansk, Poland, a city I visited last summer that also had been completely reconstructed following WWII, and did so true to its original form. While Dresden doesn’t have the energy, diversity, or excitement that I love about Berlin, it is truly a picturesque city. Our bus came to pick us up at 6:15 AM, and despite only a couple of hours of sleep from the night before, I really enjoyed exploring Dresden. Here are some photos from the day:

Frauenkirche:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A reubuilt, modernist Synagogue:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dresden, like most great European cities, is built along a river:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

City Center:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Luckily this wasn’t our bus:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi P-nut,
I had to sit here and catch up on your blog, and like the SAS one, it is laugh out loud funny. It is also great to live vicariously through you, although with a German father, I hear enough yells to pretend I too am on the fan mile. -KJ

Jeremy Bentham's Head said...

I feel like I ride this bus everyday.

Addie Swinhoe said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos! w/ love from Broome, Western Australia x

spitzer said...

I studied abroad in Dresden last year and really fell in love with the city. Because there was something going on every weekend I never made it up to Berlin (at least I have an excuse to go back, hopefully soon). My favorite site in Dresden was the Luther Platze (a Lutheran church with great acoustics and the oldest Jewish cemetery in Europe, or so I was told) did you get to see it? I am very jealous you are there now and I am not.

spitzer said...

I studied abroad in Dresden last year and really fell in love with the city. Because there was something going on every weekend I never made it up to Berlin (at least I have an excuse to go back, hopefully soon). My favorite site in Dresden was the Luther Platze (a Lutheran church with great acoustics and the oldest Jewish cemetery in Europe, or so I was told) did you get to see it? I am very jealous you are there now and I am not.

Anonymous said...

I studied abroad in Leipzig this year and had to leave right before the World cup began. Very disappointing. My group took an excursion to Berlin and Dresden and I absolutely loved Dresden. All I ever think about is how I can go back. If you have time on your trip I would definitely check out Leipzig- it is a pretty nice little city.

Carol said...

Your pictures made me regret that I didn't go to Prague last time I was in Bayern. Next time....!

Carol (welcoming like-minded -- travel/Europe/education -- visitors to my blog!)